The application portal for NDA 2018 (I) is currently open.
National Defense Academy
National Defence Academy (NDA) is the Joint Services Academy of the Indian Armed Forces. It is a military training institute where the cadets of the Army, Navy and Air Force train together before their pre-commissioning training. It is located near Pune at Khadakwasla, Maharashtra.The National Defence Academy was commissioned in 1954 while it was inaugurated on 16th January 1955. Since the Academy was established, the alumni of NDA have fought and led in every major war and battle of the country. The alumni of NDA have amongst them many ParamVir Chakra and Ashoka Chakra recipients.
Suggested: Learn in detail about Air Force Common Admission Test (AFCAT) – 2018.
NDA Entrance Exam
To get admission into National Defence Academy, candidates must appear for a national-level entrance exam conducted by Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on behalf of the Defence Ministry. This exam is held twice a year and the UPSC is solely responsible for publishing the guidelines for selection and how the examination is finally conducted. The first exam NDA-I is held in the month of April and the second one NDA-II is held in September.
List of Contents
- NDA Important Dates.
- Medium of Examination.
- Mode of Examination.
- Date of Examination.
- NDA Eligibility Criteria.
- NDA Exam Pattern
- NDA Syllabus
- How to Apply for NDA?
- NDA Admit Cards.
- NDA Answer Key.
- NDA Results.
- Important Links.
NDA 2018 Important Dates
|Events||Schedule for NDA-I||Schedule for NDA-II|
|Release of Official Notification||15thJanuary 2018 (Rescheduled)||6thJune 2018|
|Availability of Application Form||15thJanuary 2018 (6:00 PM IST)||6thJune 2018|
|Application Form Submission Close||5thFebruary 2018||2ndJuly 2018|
|Admit Card Issuance||April 2018||September 2018|
|NDA 2018 Exam Date||22ndApril 2018||9thSeptember 2018|
|Results Declaration||May 2018||October 2018|
Medium of Examination
NDA 2018, both I and II, will be conducted in both English and Hindi. However, there is a section that is meant to test proficiency in English.
Mode of Examination
NDA 2018 shall be a pen and paper based test.
NDA 2018 Exam Date
NDA 2018 (I) written exam will be held on 22nd April 2018.
NDA 2018 (II) written exam will be organized on 9th Sept 2018.
|NDA 2018 (I)||22nd April 2018|
|NDA 2018 (II)||9th September 2018|
NDA 2018 Eligibility
Candidates must be:
- A citizen of India.
- A citizen of Nepal or a subject of Bhutan.
- A Person of Indian Origin (PIO) who have migrated from Myanmar, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zaire, Malawi, and Ethiopia or Vietnam and intends to settle down permanently in India.
- A Tibetan refugee who came to India before 1st January 1962.
Age Limit, Gender, and Marital Status
- Only unmarried male candidates can apply for NDA 2018. Selected candidates cannot marry during the training period.
- For NDA-I, the candidates should not be born before 2nd July 1999 & not later than 1st July 2002.
- For NDA-II, the candidates should not be born before 2nd January 2000 and not later than 1st July 2003
- For Army Wing: Aspirants must have cleared 10+2 or any equivalent qualifying exam organized by a recognized Board or University.
- For Air Force and Naval Wing of NDA and 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme at Indian Naval Academy: Aspirants should have cleared 10+2 or any equivalent qualifying exam with Physics and Mathematics subjects, organized by a recognized Board or University.
- Aspirants who are appearing for their 12th standard exams are also eligible to apply
- Candidates must be medically fit as per the norms set by the commission. The detailed description of the medical standards is published in Annexure IV of the information brochure.
- Candidates have to undergo a medical examination that is organized by the Military Hospital if they are recommended by the SSB.
NDA 2018 Exam Pattern
The NDA 2018 admissions take place in the following two stages:
Stage 1: Written Exam conducted by UPSC.
Stage 2: Staff Selection Board (SSB) Interviews.
|Particulars||Written Test||SSB Interviews|
|Mathematics Test||General Ability Test|
|No of Questions||Not Disclosed||Not Disclosed|
|Duration||2 ½ hours||2 ½ hours||6-days|
|Marking Scheme||Negative marking||Negative Marking|
|Total Marks||300 marks||600 marks||900 marks|
|Qualifying marks||As per cut off|
|Mode of Answering||OMR Sheets for recording responses.|
The NDA 2018 exam will be held offline and thus will be a pen and paper based test. The questions will be objective in nature (MCQs). The candidates need to use a black dot pen only to mark their choices.
There will be negative marking of 0.33 marks for each incorrect answer.
The exam will consist of two parts –
- General Ability.
The time duration allotted to the mathematics paper is 2 ½ hours.
The Mathematics subject paper will hold a total of 300 marks, with question booklets in both ENGLISH and HINDI language.
General Ability Test
The General Ability Test will be 600 marks question paper bearing following 2 sections:
Part I: English Language Paper – 200 Marks.
Part II: General Knowledge Paper – 400 Marks.
The duration of General ability test will be 2.5 hours.
After clearing the written test, the candidates need to appear for the SSB interview.This round consists of scientifically designed tests to assess the personality of the candidate. They are a major deciding factor for recruitment of Officers to the Indian Armed Forces.
The SSB interviews for NDA 2018 shall be conducted in 2 stages. Candidates need to clear stage 1 to proceed to stage 2. The various tests/tasks in each stage are as follows:
- Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR).
- Picture Perception Test (PP).
- Description Test (DT).
- Group Testing Officers Task.
- Psychology tests.
SSB Interviews will hold 900 marks.
NDA 2018 Syllabus
There are two subjects for the written test.
- Mathematics – Topics like Trigonometry, Algebra, Probability, Differential Calculus, Integral Calculus and Differential equations, Vector Algebra, Statisticsetc. will be covered.
- General Ability Test – This test has two parts, English and General Knowledge.
Detailed syllabus along with recommended books shall be published soon.
How to Apply for NDA 2018?
The Application portal for NDA 2018 (I) is open now.
Interested candidates can apply for the same at https://upsconline.nic.in/mainmenu2.php.
- General and OBC students have to pay ₹100 as application fees.
- SC/ST candidates and wards of NCOs/ JCOs/ORs are exempted from this and thus do not have to pay any application fees.
- The payment can be done in either:
- Debit Card/Credit Card or,
- Netbanking or,
- Offline Mode (SBI Challan).
- In offline mode, payment can be done through e-challan of SBI Bank. This mode shall be deactivated one day before the last date of applying.
Documents to be Uploaded
- Scanned Photograph (140 X 110 pixels) – JPEG format; 3-40 KB in size.
- Scanned Signature (110 X 140 pixels) – JPEG format; 1-40 KB in size.
Part I: Registration
- Fill personal/contact details and preference order for Armed Forces.
- Review the details, submit the form and get the registration ID.
- Deposit the fees as per the mode of payment chosen.
- Upload the photograph and signature with correct dimensions and size.
- Select the exam center preference.
- Review the entire form, accept the declaration and submit the form.
- Take a printout of the form for future reference.
Note – Nothing needs to be sent to the UPSC office. No changes can be made to the form once submitted.
NDA 2018 Admit Card
The admit cards for NDA 2018 written exam will be made available online on the official UPSC website three weeks before the actual exam i.e. in April for NDA-I and in September for NDA-II exam.
NDA 2018 Answer Key
The answer keys for the exam will be available on the website within a week of the exam date.
NDA 2018 Result
The results for NDA 2018 will be declared after a month and a half of the exam i.e. in May for NDA-I and in October for NDA-II exam.
The candidates who clear the written exam successfully shall need to register themselves on the Indian Army Recruitment website i.e. http://joinindianarmy.nic.in/.
|Application of Link||Link|
|UPSC official website||http://www.upsc.gov.in/|
|Application portal for NDA 2018||https://upsconline.nic.in/mainmenu2.php|
|Indian Army Recruitment Website||http://joinindianarmy.nic.in/|