Last updated on July 16th, 2018 at 11:42 am
UPSC Civil services exam 2018 results for Preliminary exam have been announced. Click here to check your results.
The Civil Services Examination (CSE) is a national-level competitive examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) for recruitment of public servants in officer cadre. The exam is used for recruiting officers to various departments in the country, including the Indian Administrative Service (IAS), Indian Foreign Service (IFS), Indian Police Service (IPS) among others. Civil Services Exam 2018 will be held in three phases –a preliminary examination which is a written test and consists of two objective-type papers, the main examination consisting of nine papers of conventional (essay) type and lastly, a personality test or interview. The application forms for Civil Services Exam 2018 will be released on 7th February 2018.
Suggested: Learn in detail about the Engineering Services Exam – 2018 (ESE – 2018).
List of Contents
- List of Services/Departments.
- Important Dates.
- Mode of Answering.
- Medium of Question Paper.
- Date of Examination.
- Eligibility Criteria.
- Exam Pattern.
- How to Apply?
- Admit Card.
- Important Links.
Civil Services Exam 2018: List of Services
The following are the list of services which one gets on qualifying the UPSC Civil Services Exam 2018:
All India Services
- Indian Administrative Service (IAS).
- Indian Police Service (IPS).
- Indian Foreign Service (IFS).
Central Services (Group A)
- Indian Audit and Accounts Service (IA&AS).
- Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS).
- Indian Corporate Law Service (ICLS).
- Indian Defence Accounts Service (IDAS).
- Indian Defence Estates Service (IDES).
- Indian Information Service (IIS).
- Indian Ordnance Factories Service (IOFS).
- Indian Post & Telecommunication Accounts and Finance Service (IP&TAFS).
- Indian Postal Service (IPoS).
- Indian Railway Accounts Service (IRAS).
- Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS).
- Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS).
- Indian Revenue Service (IRS-IT).
- Indian Revenue Service (IRS-C&CE).
- Indian Trade Service (ITS).
- Railway Protection Force (RPF).
Group B Services
- Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service (AFHCS).
- Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands Civil Service (DANICS).
- Delhi, Andaman and Nicobar Islands Police Service (DANIPS).
- Pondicherry Civil Service.
- Pondicherry Police Service.
Civil Services Exam 2018 Important Dates
|Notification of Prelims||7th February 2018|
|Prelims Application Form Release||7th February – 6th March 2018 (till 6:00 PM IST)|
|Prelims Admit Card Issuance||7th May 2018 (Released)|
|Civil Services Exam 2018 – Prelims||3rd June 2018|
|Prelims Results||14th June 2018. (Announced)|
|Notification of Mains||August 2018|
|Mains Admit Card Issuance||September 2018|
|Civil Services Exam 2018 – Mains||1st October 2018|
|Mains Results||December 2018|
|Notification of Personality Test||January 2019|
|e-Summon for Personality Test||January 2019|
|Personality Test||February 2019|
|Final Results||May 2019|
Medium of Question Paper
Civil Services Exam 2018 (Prelims) has to be taken by the candidates in either ENGLISH or HINDI.
In Civil Services Exam 2018 (Main), the compulsory language paper can be taken in any of the 23 listed languages in the Constitution of India. The rest of the papers have to be taken in either ENGLISH or HINDI.
Mode of Answering
Civil Services Exam 2018 (Prelims) will be Pen and Paper based test.
Thus, candidates have to mark their answers in an OMR sheet in Prelims and write subjective answers in Mains.
Civil Services Exam 2018 Exam Date
The civil services exam 2018 (Prelims) will be held on 3rd June 2018.
The Main examination will be conducted on 1st October 2018.
Civil Services 2018 Eligibility Criteria
For IAS and IPS, the applicant must be an Indian National. However, for other services, an applicant must either be:
- An Indian National.
- A citizen of Nepal or subject of Bhutan
- A Tibetan refugee, who came to India before 1st January 1962.
- A person of Indian Origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka or East African countries with an intention of permanently settling in India.
Candidates should have a degree from a recognized university established either by an Act of the Central or State Legislature or UGC Act, 1956 or by an Act of Parliament.
A degree through correspondence or distance education or from an open university.
Candidates who have appeared in an examination on the passing of which they would be educationally qualified fulfill one of the above points.
Candidates who have passed the final exam of the MBBS degree but have not yet completed an internship.
Candidates who have passed the final exam of ICAI, ICSI, and ICWAI.
A degree from any foreign university recognized by the Association of Indian Universities
Applicant should have attained at least 21 years of age on or before 31st August 2018. However, he/she must not exceed the upper limit of 32 years on 31st August 2018.
Age relaxations will be given as follows as per category.
|SC/ST/ J & K residents in between 1st Jan 1980 to 31st Dec 1989.||5 years|
|Defense service personals disabled during hostilities||Up to 3 years|
|Orthopedically disabled/ Hearing Impairment/ Blind||Up to 10 years.|
|Ex-serviceman including commissioned officer/ECO/SSCOs who have served the military for 5 years as on 1st August 2017 and released or their service period has been extended and are eligible to apply for civil employment||Up to 5 years|
Number of Attempts
General category candidate has a maximum of 6 attempts allowable (9 attempts for OBC-NCL/General PH) to appear for UPSC Civil Services exam.
No limits on attempts exist in the case of SC/ST category. However, for PH candidates, limits are corresponding to their respective caste.
Appearing to attempt one of the papers in the preliminary examination is counted as an attempt, including disqualification/ cancellation of candidature. However, applying to sit the exam but failing to attend is not counted as an attempt.
Already serving Candidates
Candidates currently serving as an IAS/IFS officer to Govt. of India are not eligible to appear for the UPSC Civil Services exam 2018.
Civil Services Exam 2018 Exam Pattern
Civil Services Exam 2018 will be held in three stages:
- Stage I: Preliminary Examination.
- Stage II: Main Examination.
- Stage III: Personality Test/Interview Round.
Stage I: Prelims
The UPSC Civil Services exam 2018 (Prelims stage) shall comprise of 2 objective type papers:
|General Studies Paper – I(Used for merit rank)||200 Marks|
|General Studies Paper – II (CSAT)|
(Qualifying in Nature; needs 33% marks)
Each of these papers will be 2-hour long.
There is 1/3rd negative marking for each incorrect answer in the Prelims.
The General Studies Paper – II (CSAT) is for qualifying purpose and candidates need to score minimum 33 percent in this paper to qualify for the next stage of the exam i.e. Civil Services Mains.
Blind candidates get 20 minutes extra time for each paper in Prelims.
The candidates have to mandatorily appear for both the Prelims papers to be evaluated. The Prelims marks are not used for Final Score calculation.
Stage II: Mains
The UPSC Civil Services Exam 2018 (Main) consists of nine papers out of which two are qualifying in nature and rest are counted for ranking.
|Paper A||Compulsory Indian Language (Qualifying)||300|
|Paper B||English (Qualifying)||300|
|Paper II||General Studies I (Indian Heritage and Culture, History, and Geography of the World and Society)||250|
|Paper III||General Studies II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)||250|
|Paper-IV||General Studies III (Technology, Economic Development, Bio-diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)||250|
|Paper V||General Studies-IV(Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude)||250|
|Paper VI||Optional Paper-I||250|
|Paper VII||Optional Paper-II|
(Candidate can choose Literature as an Optional and need not be a graduate in that language)
|Total (for Papers I-VII)||1750|
- All the Mains papers have a duration of 3 hours each. The marks obtained in Paper I to VII will be used in determining the final rank along with the interview.
- Candidate must obtain 25% marks (75 marks) in Paper A and B for qualifying.
- Papers I-VII can be taken in either ENGLISH or HINDI.
- The papers will be subjective in nature and will have conventional (essay) questions.
- The language for paper A can be chosen from the list of languages in the 8th Schedule of the Constitution of India.
Stage III: Personality Test/Interview Round
The candidates who clear the Civil Services Exam 2018 (Main) with the decided cut-off marks shall qualify for the next and final stage of the process which is the Personality Test.
This is an interview round with the UPSC Board Members. Total marks for this round is 275.
For this stage, the qualified candidates shall receive an e-summon for a face to face discussion with the UPSC board members. This round is conducted in UPSC Bhawan in New Delhi.
This round tests the overall personality of the candidate and he/she is asked questions on current affairs, hobbies, interests, situation analysis etc.
The total marks scored in Mains and Personality Test are used in calculating the final rank of a candidate.
Civil Services Exam 2018 Syllabus
Civil Services Exam 2018 Prelims
Syllabus for Paper I
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity, and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization
- General Science.
Syllabus for Paper II
- Interpersonal Skills including Communication Skills
- Logical Reasoning and Analytical Ability.
- Decision Making and Problem Solving.
- General Mental Ability.
- Basic Mathematics.
- Data interpretation.
Civil Services Exam 2018 (Main)
For the optional papers, these are the following subjects that can be chosen by the candidate:
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- Indian History
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Science
- Political Science and International Relations
- Public Administration
For literature languages, any of the following can be taken:
Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Manipuri, Marathi, Nepali, Oriya, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu and English.
How to Apply for Civil Services Exam 2018?
UPSC Civil services exam 2018 application portal is closed now.
The last date of applying for Civil Services exam 2018 was 6th March 2018 (6:00 PM IST).
The application forms will be available in ONLINE formats. No offline applications will be accepted.
The application fee for UPSC Civil services exam 2018 was Rs. 100 for General and OBC category students. However, no application fee was applicable in the case of Female/SC/ST/PH students.
The application fee had to be paid by either of the following mediums:
- Cash payment at SBI branches.
- Net Banking of State bank group only.
- Credit Card/Debit Card.
Signature and Photograph Specifications
- Scanned photograph – 110 X 140 pixels – JPEG/JPG format – 3-40 Kb.
- Scanned signature- 140 X 110 pixels – JPEG/JPG format – 1-40 Kb.
Steps of Applying
The complete application form is divided into 2 parts:
- Part I Registration
- The part I registration for UPSC civil services exam 2018 mainly comprises of candidate’s personal information such as Name, Father’s Name, Candidate’s educational details, Address for Correspondence, Previous attempts at UPSC IAS exam etc.
- In order to begin the part I of UPSC civil service exam 2018 registration, candidates have to follow the official link and click on the link below the column “Part I registration”. A set of instructions were displayed on the screen, upon reading which, the candidate had to click on the “Yes button” below the screen. This would have taken you to the registration form for UPSC civil services exam 2018.
- The candidate then had to fill in the corresponding fields and click on “Continue” to proceed further. At the next step, the candidate was asked to claim age relaxation (if applicable). Further, the candidate had to click on the “Continue” button to proceed.
- At this stage, the candidate was asked to fill in his/her graduation details such percentage scored/CGPA, previous attempts at UPSC IAS exam and details regarding UPSC IAS main exam and Indian Forest Service Exam. After entering the requisite details, he had to click on the “Continue” button to move further.
- After going through all the above steps, the candidates were presented with a declaration box. After checking the check box, the candidates now had to press the “Submit” button to initiate the submission of Part I of the form.
- Part II Registration
- The part II of the registration process mainly had 3 steps – Application fee payment (if any), Documents uploading and choosing the exam center for the same.
- Candidates paying through the “cash mode” had to enter the transaction ID, as provided by the bank, in Part II of the UPSC IAS exam application form to complete the registration process.
It was not required of the candidates to send anything to the UPSC office.
Civil Services Exam 2018 Admit Card
The e-admit cards for UPSC Civil Services Exam 2018 (Prelims) has been issued online on 7th May 2018 and will remain available till 3rd June 2018.
Visit https://upsconline.nic.in/eadmitcard/admitcard_csp_2018/ to download the card.
Civil Services Exam 2018 Results
The UPSC Civil Services Exam 2018 (Prelims) results have been released on 14th June 2018.
Download the results for CSE 2018 Preliminary exam.
For IFS results, visit https://upsconline.nic.in/IFSP-2018-Engl-F.pdf.
The UPSC Civil Services Exam 2018 (Main) results will be available in January or February 2019.
The final consolidated results and merit list will be available in June or July 2019.
Civil Services Exam 2018 Important Links
|UPSC Official Website||www.upsc.gov.in|
|Civil services exam Results|
|UPSC Civil services exam 2018 application procedure||https://upsconline.nic.in/download1.php?type=ne&file=CSP2018-E.pdf|
|UPSC Civil services exam 2018 official brochure||http://www.upsc.gov.in/sites/default/files/Notification_CSP_2018_Engl.pdf|
|IFS official brochure||http://www.upsc.gov.in/sites/default/files/Notification_IFSP_2018_Engl.pdf|
Stay tuned for more updates on UPSC Civil Services Exam 2018. For further queries, post your questions in the comments.