Last updated on July 16th, 2018 at 11:33 am
AFCAT 2018 (2) application portal has closed.
AFCAT 2018 (1) registrations are open now. AFCAT (Air Force Common Admission Test) is a recruitment examination organized by the Indian Air Force (IAF). The examination is held twice a year in the months of February and August, applications to which are made available in December and June respectively. AFCAT 2018 Examination can be taken by both Male and Female Candidates who have completed their Graduation. AFCAT is officer recruitment gateway in 3 branches of Air Force – Flying Branch (Short Service Commission only), Technical branch (Permanent & Short Service Commission) and Ground Duty Branch (Permanent & Short Service Commission).
Suggested: Learn in detail about the CDS Exam.
AFCAT 01 2018 Updates
AFSB testing will start from 30th April 2018.
AFCAT 01 2018 written exam results have been declared. Follow https://afcat.cdac.in/afcatreg/ to check your result.
What’s New in AFCAT 2018?
- NCC Special Entry (Flying) & Meteorology Branch: This year’s AFCAT examination will also be used to recruit NCC Special Entry into flying branch and Meteorology branch under the Ground Duty section.
- Aadhar Card: From 2018 onwards, Aadhar card has been made mandatory for AFCAT application.
- Mode of Answering: From this year onwards, the written test will be computer-based test (CBT) i.e. candidates will have to use mouse to report answers on a computer screen.
- Application Fee: AFCAT 2018 will not be free of cost, rather an application fee of Rs. 250 shall be taken as application fee.
- Scanned Signature & Thumb Impression: Unlike the previous years, candidates must upload their scanned signature and thumb impression (left-hand thumb impression for male and right-hand thumb impression for female) this time.
Difference between AFCAT and CDS
- AFCAT is different from Combined defense services exam (conducted by UPSC) in the sense that CDS examination offers recruitment to all the three military forces while AFCAT examination is specifically meant for the recruitment of Air Force Officers only.
- Through AFCAT, officers are recruited in 3 branches of Air Force – Flying Branch (Short Service Commission only), Technical branch (Permanent & Short Service Commission) and Ground Duty Branch (Permanent & Short Service Commission). However, the CDS exam is only meant for recruiting Flying Officer for Permanent Commission.
List of Contents
- Important Dates.
- Number of Vacancies.
- Language of Examination.
- Mode of Answering.
- Date of Examination.
- Eligibility Criteria.
- How to Apply?
- Admit Card.
- Examination Pattern.
- AFCAT Syllabus & Books.
- AFCAT 2017 Cut Off.
- Important Links.
AFCAT 2018 Important Dates
AFCAT 02 2018 (Announced)
|Release of official Notification for AFCAT 02 2018||30th May 2018|
|Submission of AFCAT 02 2018 Online Application||16th June – 15th July 2018|
|Publication of Admit Cards||Last week of July 2018|
|Exam Date of AFCAT 02 2018||18th August 2018 – 19th August 2018.|
|AFCAT 02 2018 Result Declaration||1st week of October 2018|
AFCAT 2018 Vacancies
The tentative vacancies announced by Indian Air Force for AFCAT 02 2018 have been tabulated below.
|Branch||SSC (Short Service commission)||PC (Permanent Commission)|
|Ground Duty (Technical)||AE(L): 30|
|Ground Duty (Non-technical)|
|NCC Special Entry (Flying)||10% seats out of CDS vacancies|
|Ground Duty (Non-Technical) [Meteorology]||14||10|
Language of Examination
AFCAT 2018 (both 1 and 2) exam will be conducted in both English and Hindi languages.
Mode of Answering
From AFCAT 2018 onwards, a computer-based test will be used as mode of answering.
AFCAT 2018 Exam Date
AFCAT 2 2018 will be held on 18th and 19th August 2018.
AFCAT 2018 Eligibility
Only Indian citizens can apply for the examination.
Flying Branch (Short Service Commission) & NCC Special Entry
- Secured 60% marks each in Physics and Maths in 12th or Equivalent Exam from a recognized board. Secured 60% marks in Graduation in any discipline from a recognized University.
- Secured 60% marks in their B.E. or B.Tech Degree from a recognized University.
- Secured 60% marks in A and B Examination of Associate Membership of Institute Engineers (India) or Aeronautical Society of India from a recognized University.
In case of NCC, candidates must have acquired NCC Air Wing Senior Division ‘C’ certificate on or after 2nd June 2016 apart from the above specified criteria.
Candidate should be aged between 20 and 24 years as on 1st July 2019. Therefore, candidates must have been born after 2nd July 1995 and before 1st July 1999.
Upper age relaxation will be 2 years for Candidates with a valid and current Commercial Pilot Licence issued by DGCA (India).
Ground Duty (Technical) (Both Short Service Commission and Permanent Commission)
The technical branch of AFCAT 2018 has two subcategories based on candidate’s graduation discipline:
Aeronautical Engineer (Electronics)
Applicants must possess a minimum of 60% marks in both Mathematics and Physics in 12th or equivalent exams. Also, the candidate must have passed a minimum 4-year degree (Graduation/PG/Integrated) in Engineering/Technology from a recognized university.
Cleared Section A & B examination of Associate Membership of Institution of Engineers (India) or Aeronautical Society of India or Graduate membership examination of the Institute of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers by actual study with at least 60% marks. List of accepted disciplines has been published in the official notification.
Aeronautical Engineer (Mechanics)
Same as Aeronautical Engineer (Electronics) except for the disciplines accepted (Check the notification for accepted disciplines).
Age should be between 20 and 26 years as on 1st July 2019. Therefore, an eligible applicant’s DOB can fall in between 2nd July 1993 and 1st July 1999 (both inclusive).
Ground Branch (Non-Technical)
Administration & Logistics
A graduate from a recognized university with a minimum 60% marks as aggregate in any discipline.
Passed Section A & B examination of Associate Membership of Institution of Engineers (India) or Aeronautical Society of India with 60% aggregate marks (at least) from a recognized university.
Holding a B.Com degree with at least 60% aggregate marks.
A degree of MBA / MCA or MA / M Sc degree in English / Physics / Mathematics / Chemistry / Statistics / International relations / International Studies / Defence Studies / Psychology / Computer Science / IT /Management / Mass Communication / Journalism / Public Relation with minimum 50% aggregate (2 years program atleast). Along with this, candidate must have scored 60% marks in graduation.
For Integrated degrees, minimum 50% marks in all paper put together is acceptable.
Aged between 20 and 26 years measured on 1st July 2019.
Candidates below the age of 25 years should be unmarried (windows & divorcee are also ineligible) at the time of course commencement i.e. January 2019.
Married candidates above 25 years of age are permitted.
Candidate must be in possession of Post Graduate Degree in any Science stream/Mathematics/Statistics/Geography/Computer Applications/Environmental Science/Applied Physics/ Oceanography/Meteorology/Agricultural Meteorology/Ecology &
Environment /Geo-physics/Environmental Biology with minimum of 50% marks in aggregate of all papers put together (Provided Maths and Physics were studied at Graduation Level with a minimum of 55% marks in each).
Final Year Candidates
Final Year candidates can apply for the examination provided the applicant should not have any present backlog and must have secured minimum 60% marks up to the last semester/year for which results have been declared.
Also, candidate must be able to present the proof of passing the degree by 30th May 2019.
AFCAT 2018 Application Form
AFCAT 2 2018 applications forms are available till 15th July 2018.
AFCAT Previous Year Papers with Answers are available for download in PDF format.
Download FREE AFCAT Sample Papers designed by team of experts.
Photograph and Signature Specifications
- Colored passport sized scanned photograph – 10KB-50KB – JPEG/JPG format.
- Scanned Signature – 10KB-50KB – JPEG/JPG format.
- Thumb Impression (left thumb for male candidates and right thumb for female candidates) – 10KB-50KB – JPEG/JPG format.
AFCAT 2018 Fee
For the first time, an application fee of Rs. 250 will be applicable for AFCAT 2018.
Application fee can be paid by either of the following methods:
- Credit/Debit Card.
- Challan payable at Axis Bank or HDFC Bank.
- Net Banking.
The given application fee is not to be paid by candidates applying for Meteorology and NCC Special Entry.
Steps of Applying
Following major steps are involved in AFCAT 02 2018 application form:
- Candidate Registration.
- Application form filling.
- Uploading the documents.
- City Selection.
- Payment of application form fee.
AFCAT 2018 Admit Card
- AFCAT 2018 Admit Card will be available on AFCAT 2018 website from 4th week of July 2018. The Candidates must take a print out of the Admit Card, as no Hard Copy of the same would be sent via post.
- It is mandatory to carry the Admit Card at the time of exam along with other identity proofs like Aadhar Card, Voter Card, Driving Licence, etc., without which the applicants would not be allowed to appear for the exam.
- Link for downloading the admit card will be uploaded soon.
AFCAT 2018 Exam Pattern
AFCAT 2018 (both 1 & 2) Examination has two stages of selection—Written Examination and SSB Interview.
In Addition to the above two tests, Candidates will have to go through:
- An EKT (Engineering Knowledge Test) stage if they are applying for Ground Duty (Technical) Branch.
- A PABT (Pilot Aptitude Battery Test) stage if they are applying for Flying Branch.
|Particulars||AFCAT Written Exam||EKT Test (For Technical Ground Duty only)||SSB Interviews|
|No of Questions||100 questions.||50 questions||–|
|Marking Scheme||3 marks for the correct answer.|
-1 mark for wrong answer
|3 marks for the correct answer.|
-1 mark for the wrong answer
|Total Marks||300 marks||150 marks||–|
|Subject/Sections||Engineering Discipline related subjects|
|Mode of Answering||Pen/Paper Mode (OMR sheets)||Pen/Paper Mode (OMR sheets)||–|
|Type of Questions||Objective Type/ MCQs||Objective Type/MCQs||–|
Written Exam Pattern
The AFCAT 2018 (both 1 & 2) written exam constitutes the 1 step of IAF recruitments. It is a 2-hour long objective type test with 100 questions in total. For every correct answer, the candidate will be awarded 3 marks.
There is no division of sections as such but the paper will comprise of questions from the following topics:
- General Awareness
- Verbal Ability
- Quantitative Ability
- Logical Reasoning
- Military Aptitude Test
1 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer.
Staff Selection Board (SSB) Interviews
On clearing the written examination, the candidates will receive a call letter inviting them for the SSB (Staff Selection Board) Interviews. The SSB interviews involve the following 2 Stages:
Stage-I involves the following 2 tests:
- Officer Intelligence Rating Test
- Picture Perception and Discussion Test
Qualifying candidates will move to the Stage-II of the SSB Interview.
Stage-II involves the following 3 tests:
- Psychology Test: Written Exam
- Group Test: Combination of Indoor and Outdoor Activities
EKT Exam Pattern
EKT or Engineering Knowledge Test is a meant for testing candidate’s engineering knowledge (as the name explains). The test is compulsory for candidates applying for Technical Ground Duty branch.
The EKT test will take place just after the AFCAT 2018 exam. It is a 45-minutes long test with 50 questions. Each correct answer is given 3 marks while 1 mark is deducted for each wrong answer.
AFCAT 2018 Syllabus
Candidates can check the detailed syllabus of AFCAT 2018 along with recommended books at http://edupadhai.com/afcat-books/.
AFCAT 2018 Results
AFCAT 02 2018 results shall be out by the 1st week of October 2018.
The candidates qualifying in the written examination will be allowed to appear for the SSB Interviews.
Candidates will be provided nearly 15 days to select a venue for SSB interviews out of 6 AFSB centers.
AFCAT 2017 Cut Off
|AFCAT Written Exam||150/300|
|Application of Link||Link|
|AFCAT 02 2018 notification||https://afcat.cdac.in/AFCAT/assets/images/news/afcat_notification_02_18.pdf|
|AFCAT 02 2018 Application form||Closed.|
|AFCAT 2018 official website||https://afcat.cdac.in|
|General Physical Standards||http://www.careerairforce.nic.in/index1.asp?lang=1&ls_id=124&lid=87&level=3&pid=61|
|Additional Standards for Flying Branch||http://www.careerairforce.nic.in/index1.asp?lang=1&ls_id=124&lid=87&level=3&pid=61|
Disclaimer: The contents of this page are to the best of our knowledge and accuracy and are based on the latest notification (known to us) published by official site (preceding or current year as applicable) of institution/ examination conducting body. EduPadhai shall not be responsible for any inaccuracy or omission in the information posted on this page in form of article, comments (either by EduPadhai or any individual/institution) or contents in any other form whatsoever and does not attract any legal action.