TNEA or Tamil Nadu Engineering admission is a single window admission process for entrance to Anna University & its constituent colleges in the state of Tamil Nadu. TNEA was constituted in 2007 after the university scrapped the previously held entrance exam (TNPC EE) in 2006. As mentioned above, TNEA is NOT an entrance exam, it is an entrance process based on candidate’s performance in 12th standard. Currently, based on TNEA, a total of 571 engineering colleges admit students in the state of Tamil Nadu. Each Year nearly 1.5 lakh students get enrolled in different engineering colleges across the state.
Also Read: Discover in detail about the Application procedure for B.Tech Admissions at IIIT Bangalore.
Table of Contents
- Eligibility Criteria.
- Reservation of Seats.
- Selection Procedure.
- How to Apply?
- Participating Institutes.
- Important Dates.
- Important Links.
- Nativity: Either the candidate must be a native of Tamil Nadu state or must have studied 8th – 12th standard in the state of Tamil Nadu. Those natives of Tamil Nadu who are studying outside TN must enclose Nativity certificate in digital format.Apart from the natives, the children of central government/public sector/govt. recognized institution employees are also eligible provided they are serving in Tamil Nadu for last five years. Also, kids of All India service, Tamil Nadu cadre are also eligible.
Other state candidates who have studied 8th – 12th in TN are also eligible.Candidates belonging to Srilankan Tamil Refugees category are also eligible. But, they will be considered only under open competition. Also, it is mandatory for them to submit the requisite documents as a part of proof for the same.
- Qualifying Examination: Applicant should have passed the 12th std. or equivalent exam with a minimum aggregate of 50% or 45% (Backward class including backward class Muslims) or 40% (MBC & DNC/SC/ST/SCA) in Physics, Mathematics & Chemistry combined.
It is obligatory for the applicant to have passed in one of the vocational subjects of 12th std (equivalent exam) together with one of either Physics or Chemistry or Mathematics. The minimum aggregate required in this respect will be 50% for General category, 45% for backward class (including backward class Muslims) and 40% for SC/ST/SCA/MBC & DNC categories.
List of Vocational Subjects for TNEA 2017
- General Machinist.
- Electrical Machines & Appliances.
- Electronic Equipment.
- Draughtsman Civil.
- Auto Mechanic.
- Textile Technology.
- Improvement Marks: As per an order passed in 2008, improvement marks will not be considered from 2006 onwards.
Marine Engineering Eligibility
In the case of marine Engineering, the eligibility rules for TNEA 2017 will be different from the general rules. These rules are as follows.
- Qualifying Exam: It is mandatory for the applicant to have passed the 12th std or equivalent exam with a minimum aggregate of 60% marks in Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics combined. Also, the candidate must have English as a mandatory subject & should have scored 50% marks in it either in 10th or 12th.
- Age: Applicant should not be above 25 years of age.
- Height & Weight: Candidate must be at least 157 cm tall & should bear at least 48 kg weight.
Must Read: Discover the top 5 foreign lands most appropriate for Higher studies.
Reservation of Seats
In the state of Tamil Nadu, 69% of the total seats are reserved. These 69% seats are mainly distributed among 6 major categories. The categories included are as follows.
- Backward Class (BC).
- Backward Class Muslims (BCM).
- Most backward class & denotified communities.
- Scheduled Class (SC).
- Scheduled class (Arunthathiyars).
- Scheduled Tribes.
The above categories are applicable for TNEA 2017 only.
As mentioned before, TNEA 2017 admits students based on their performance in 12th std or Higher Secondary Exam (HSC). Out of all the subjects studied by the candidate in HSC, only 3 subjects – Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics are considered for admission.
The total marks scored by the candidate in PCM are first reduced to 200 (100 for Mathematics & 100 for Physics + Chemistry) & then equated with HSC exam of Tamil Nadu state board. This task is accomplished by the method of normalization.
Consider an example of Mr. X. Mr.X has scored 60 marks in Physics in HSC exam. However, the topper of X’s board has scored 90 marks in the same subject. On the other hand, topper of Tamil Nadu state board has scored 100 in Physics. Therefore, in X’s case, his normalized marks will be calculated as:
X’s Normalized Marks = 100 x 60
———— = 66.66.
In the case of nationalized board like CBSE, the marks will not be equated with Tamil Nadu state board marks. The normalization in these cases will be done using marks scored by toppers of the respective board.
Based on the normalized marks, a common merit list will be prepared to comprise of all applicants. Finally, based on this rank list candidates will be admitted to different colleges. This combined rank list will also be published on TNEA 2017 website.
Applying for TNEA 2017
The application fee for TNEA 2017 is Rs. 500 for general category students & Rs. 250 for SC/ST/SCA candidates of TN state.
The application fee for TNEA 2017 can only be paid via Online Payment methods such as Debit Card, Credit Cards, NetBanking, Payment Wallets etc.
This is the list of documents that has to be sent along with the printed application to Anna University, Chennai.
- 10th Standard Mark sheet.
- 12th std Hall ticket.
- 12th std Mark sheet (if present).
- Transfer Certificate.
- Caste/Community Certificate (if applicable).
- Nativity Certificate (if applicable).
- Tamilian Refugee Certificate. (if applicable)
- Certificate for Physically disabled/Ex-Serviceman etc. (if applicable).
Candidates can apply for TNEA 2017 only via Online media. The application portal for TNEA 2017 is currently open and will remain so until 31st May 2017.
In order to begin the application process, candidates need to follow the link https://www.tnea.ac.in/guidelines.php.
The complete application process is summarized in 7 steps:
Step 1: Registration of the applicant. Involves submitting basic details such as name, Phone no., a valid Email etc.
Step 2: Paying the registration fee.
Step 3: Providing candidate’s Academic details as asked on the screen.
Step 4: Review the application for the final time and then submit it.
Step 5: Taking a printout of the application form and sending it to Anna University along with relevant documents so as to reach on or before 3rd June 2017.
The application form, along with relevant documents, must be sent to the following address:
Chennai – 600025.
Must Read: The list of Top 50 Engineering Colleges in India, prepared by EduPadhai.
Candidates can check the list of participating institutes in TNEA 2017 at https://www.tnea.ac.in/pdf/College_Booklet_2017.pdf.
The merit list for TNEA 2017 will be published on 22nd June 2017.
|Opening of Application portal||1st May 2017|
|Last date of filling Online application||31st May 2017.|
|Last date for submitting filled-in application form at Anna University||3rd June 2017|
|Publication of results||22nd June 2017|
|Beginning of Counseling||27th June 2017|
|Application of Link||Link|
|TNEA 2017 Official site||https://www.tnea.ac.in/index.php|
|TNEA 2017 Information Brochure||https://www.tnea.ac.in/pdf/instructions.pdf|
|TNEA 2017 application portal||https://www.tnea.ac.in/guidelines.php|
|TNEA 2017 Application guidelines||https://www.tnea.ac.in/pdf/TNEA_2017_How%20to%20Apply_New.pdf|
Please like, share and follow us on Facebook for similar articles in future. Also, comment below if you have any queries or suggestions regarding TNEA 2017.