The admit cards for GATE 2017 can be downloaded from http://appsgate.iitr.ac.in/.
Due to heavy rush, the last date for filling GATE 2017 application has been extended to 10th Oct. 2016, 11 AM.
Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering or GATE is an annual exam meant for testing graduate students knowledge of a chosen engineering or science discipline. The exam was started in the year 1984. From the beginning, the exam has been considered one of the toughest exams in the country due to the huge amount of syllabus in graduate studies. Every year the exam is conducted by either of the 7 IITs and IISc Bangalore on behalf of HRD Ministry. Apart from testing graduate student’s knowledge, GATE scores are also used by various technical institutes (IITs, NITs and IIITs) for M.Tech and M.Sc admissions. From 2012 onwards, GATE scores are being used by PSUs for recruiting candidates. In 2016, nearly 9, 00,000 students appeared for GATE 2016 with a selection rate of only 15% (approx.).
Suggested: Learn everything about GATE exam 2018.
List of Contents
- Date of Examination.
- Type of Examination.
- GATE 2017 syllabus.
- How to Apply?
- GATE exam Pattern.
- Admit Card.
- Information Brochure.
Dates of Examination
GATE 2017 will be conducted by IIT-Roorkee on following dates.
|4th February 2017||9:00 – 12:00 IST||Mechanical, Architecture & Planning, Textile Engineering & Fibre Science.|
|14:00 – 17:00 IST||Mechanical, Agricultural Engineering, Geology and Geophysics|
|5th February 2017||9:00 – 12:00 IST||Electronics & communication, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Ecology & Evolution, Production & industrial Engineering|
|14:00 – 17:00 IST||Electronics & communication, Mathematics, Aerospace Engineering, Physics, Metallurgical engg., Petroleum engg.|
|11th February 2017||9:00 – 12:00 IST||Computer Science, Electrical Engineering|
|14:00 – 17:00 IST||Computer Science, Electrical Engineering|
|12th February 2017||9:00 – 12:00 IST||Civil engg, Chemical engg., Mining Engg.,|
|14:00 – 17:00 IST||Civil engg, Life Sciences, Engg. Sciences, Instrumentation Engg.|
Type of Exam
GATE 2017 is an ONLINE exam. The medium of exam for GATE 2017 is ENGLISH.
GATE 2017 Syllabus
Candidates can download the GATE 2017 all branch syllabi from http://gate.iitr.ernet.in/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Syllabi_GATE2017.pdf.
- Nationality: Along with Indian Nationals, candidates from Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Nepal, Singapore, Sri Lanka and UAE can also apply.
- Qualification: A candidate who is either studying in the final year or passed the following degree programs, is eligible for GATE 2017.
- B.Arch (5 Years).
- B.Sc/B.S (Bachelors in Science).
- Integrated M.Tech (post B.Sc).
- Integrated M.Tech (B.Tech + M.Tech). (Currently in 4th/5th year).
- Integrated M.Sc.
- AMIE or other professional society courses (Completed section A).
- Age Limit: There is no age limit for GATE 2017.
- Backlog: Candidates studying in the final year, with backlogs, are also eligible for GATE 2017.
Applying for GATE 2017
The application process for GATE 2017 is completely an online process. Nothing is to be sent to IITs or GATE office under any circumstance. The GATE application portal has begun functioning on 1st September 2016. The last date of applying for GATE 2017 is 10th October 2016 (Extended from 4th Oct 2016).
The application fee for GATE 2017 is as follows, based on category.
- Female/SC/ST/Pwd – Rs. 750.
- Other Candidates – Rs. 1500.
- International Candidates – $50.
The above-written application charges can be paid via:
- Net Banking/Debit Card/Credit Card.
- e – Challan.
Applicants are required to keep the following documents ready before filling the GATE 2017 application.
- Scanned color photograph (5-200 kb).
- Scanned signature (5 – 150 kb).
- Scanned left thumb impression (2 – 150 kb).
- Scanned category certificate (10 – 300kb in PDF).
- Scanned provisional certificate or pre – final year mark sheet or degree (10 – 300kb in PDF).
How to Apply?
- Follow the address http://appsgate.iitr.ac.in to visit the GATE application processing system. (GOAPS)
- In the case of new users, click on “New Registration” link below the Login panel. This takes you to the registration page. Here, the candidate has to provide his/her Email, password, and a mobile number and click on submit.
- On successful registration, candidates will receive an e-mail and SMS, possessing the enrollment no. Save this number for future references.
- Now, after registration, login with the enrollment no. and password.
- On logging in, candidates shall be presented the complete application form. Fill in all the fields with valid entries and upload the above-listed documents and click on Submit button.
- Upon submission, candidates will be taken to the payment page. Select the appropriate payment method and continue with the payment.
- After successful payment, candidates can download an acknowledgment certificate. Keep this card safe for future references.
GATE 2017 Exam Pattern
GATE 2017 shall be a 3 – hour long examination. The exam consists of 65 questions, carrying a total of 100 marks. As per an unofficial section division made by EduPadhai, there are 3 sections:
- General Aptitude (10 questions of 15 marks).
- Engineering Mathematics (15 marks).
- Subject-based questions (70 marks).
Types of Questions
There are two types of questions in GATE 2017 – MCQs and Numerical Answer Questions. Both of these question types may carry 1 or 2 marks each.
In the case of MCQs carrying 1 mark, 1/3 marks will be deducted for wrong answers. Also for MCQs carrying 2 marks, 2/3 marks will be deducted for incorrect answer. However, there will be no negative marking for numerical answer questions.
GATE 2017 Admit Cards
Candidates can download the GATE 2017 admit cards from 5th January 2017 from https://appsgate.iitr.ac.in/. These downloads have to be made from GATE portal. No admit card will be sent through post or email. Also, candidates have to bring a color printout of these admit cards to the exam hall.
GATE 2017 results will be declared on 27th March 2017 at 5:00 in the evening. The same will be published on GATE portal. Candidates can download the scorecard in between 27th March – 26th May 2017.
The GATE 2017 scores will remain valid for 3 years.
|Online Application Portal||1st September – 10th October 2016 (Extended from 4th Oct.)|
|Admit Card Download||5th January 2017|
|Result||27th March 2017|
|Downloading GATE scorecard||27th March – 26th May 2017|
Candidates can download the information brochure for GATE 2017 from https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByPcpxjSfRuVT3BUNk4ybE8xem8.