Last updated on May 3rd, 2018 at 08:05 pm
SRM University or Sri Ramaswamy Memorial University is a Chennai – based private university in the state of Tamil Nadu. SRM University began its glorious journey in 1985 as an engineering college in Kattankulathur, Chennai. Since then, the institute has remained synonymous with excellence in technical education. From SRM’s humble beginning as an engineering college, the institute turned into a deemed university in 2006 with an act of UGC. Presently, the university offers degree courses in engineering, medicine, management, humanities and operates in a total of 7 campuses across the country.
List of Contents
- Campus Location.
- Campuses Across India.
- Courses Offered
- Admission Procedure
- Fee Structure.
- Placement Statistics
How to Reach SRM University, Chennai?
The SRM University Main campus i.e. Kattankulathur campus is located in SRM Nagar, Kattankulathur located inside the
Kancheepuram District in the state of Tamil Nadu.
The main campus or SRM Nagar is nearly 40 Km away from Chennai city.
The nearest railway station to the campus is Potheri station, 1.8 km from the campus.
The nearest Airport is the Chennai International Airport, located nearly 25 Km from the college campus.
For more details, on how to reach the campus from Chennai city and nearby areas, visit http://www.srmuniv.ac.in/aboutus/visiting-srm.
SRM University Campuses
SRM University currently has 8 sister campuses at various locations in the country. The 8 campuses include:
- Kattankulathur, Chennai. (Main Campus)
- Vadapalani, Chennai.
- Ramapuram, Chennai.
- Sonepat, Haryana.
- Gangtok, Sikkim.
- Amaravati, AP. (est. 2016)
Apart from the above-mentioned locations, the SRM group also has other colleges in its family tree.
SRM University Rankings
The SRM University rankings at both Indian and World stage have been described below and tabulated.
Ranking in India
Recently released NIRF 2018 rankings for engineering colleges has placed SRM University at 46th spot in the list of best engineering institutes. It has been ranked the 41st best university in the country by NIRF.
Outlook magazine placed SRM Engg. college at 27th spot in 2017 rankings of 100 best engineering colleges.
|NIRF 2018 (in association with HRD Ministry, GOI)||46th (among engineering institutes)|
|Outlook Magazine 2017 ranking||27th (among engineering institutes)|
|NIRF 2016||43rd (among engineering institutes)|
Overall University Rankings
|NIRF 2018||41st (among all universities in India)|
SRM University World Rankings
The TIMES Higher Education has ranked SRM University above 1,000 in the World University Rankings while it falls in the 301-350 range in Asia Rankings. The best performing Indian university in these rankings is IISc Bengaluru in the 251-300 range.
However, the QS World Rankings have placed SRM University in 351 – 400 range in Asia rankings. The best performing Indian University in these rankings is IIT Delhi, placed at 172nd spot.
|TIMES Higher Education World Rankings||1001+|
|QS World Rankings||>1,000|
Courses Offered at SRM University
The course catalog at SRM University comprises of following 4 field of study:
- Engineering & Technology.
- Architecture and Design.
- Medicine and Health Sciences.
Engineering and Technology
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech.).
- Master of Technology (M.Tech).
- PG Diploma Programs.
For details on trades (branches) in which B.tech/M.Tech/Diploma is offered and requisite campuses, visit http://www.srmuniv.ac.in/admission-india/engineering/programs-offered.
Architecture and Design
- Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch).
- Bachelor of Design in Interior Design (B.Des.).
- Master of Design (M.Des.)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA).
- Master of Business Administration (MBA).
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) in Hotel Management.
- Master of Management Studies (MMS).
For more details on the campuses available, visit http://www.srmuniv.ac.in/admission-india/management/programs-offered.
Medicine and Health Sciences
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (M.B.B.S).
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (B.D.S).
- Bachelor of Optometry (B.Optom).
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharma).
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.).
- Bachelor of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology (BASLP).
- Bachelor of Occupation Therapy (BOT).
- Bachelor of Public Health (BPH).
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPT).
- Post Basic B.Sc in Nursing.
- Doctor of Medicine (M.D).
- Master of Science (M.S) – Medical.
- Master of Dental Surgery (M.D.S)
- Master of Science (M.Sc).
- Master of Public Health (MPH).
- Master of Occupation Therapy (MOT).
- Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharma).
- Master of Physiotherapy (MPT).
- Master of Audiology and Speech Language Pathology (MASLP).
- Master of Hospital Administration (MHA).
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil).
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharma.D).
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharma.D) Post Baccalaureate.
- Doctorate of Medicine (D.M).
- Master of Surgery (M.Ch.).
- Associate Fellowship in Industrial Health (AFIH)
- Fellowship Programs.
- Diploma in Nursing.
- PG Diploma.
Certificate Courses in Health Sciences
- Blood Bank Technology
- Health Inspector
- Medical Office Management
- Ophthalmic Technology.
For more details on the fields in which programs are available and the campuses available, visit http://www.srmuniv.ac.in/admission-india/medical-health-sciences/programs-offered.
Humanities & Sciences
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com).
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com (Honors)).
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed).
- Bachelor of Science (B.Sc).
- Bachelor of Arts (B.A).
- Bachelor of Commerce and Bachelor of Legislative Law (Honours) (B.Com + LLB)
- Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Legislative Law (Honours) (BA + LLB)
- Bachelor of Legislative Law (L.L.B)
- Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA)
- Master of Commerce (M.Com).
- Master of Education (M.Ed).
- Master of Science (M.Sc)
- Master of Arts (M.A).
- Master of Computer Applications (M.C.A).
- Film Acting.
- Hotel Management and Catering Technology.
For more details on the fields in which programs are available and the campuses available, visit http://www.srmuniv.ac.in/admission-india/science-and-humanities/programs-offered.
SRM University Admissions
Admission Process for all the programs at SRM University and its campuses has been described below.
Engineering & Technology
Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech)
Admission to B.Tech program at SRM University campuses is based on annually-held SRM Joint Engineering Entrance examination (SRMJEEE). Counselling is then conducted based on candidates’s performance in SRMJEEE.
Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch)
B.Arch admissions to SRM are solely based on National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA) conducted by National Institute of Advanced Studies in Architecture, New Delhi.
Bachelor of Design and Master of Design
Admission to both the UG and PG design courses are based on candidates performance in qualifying examination for UG i.e. 12th standard and for PG i.e. B.Des.
Master of Technology (M.Tech)
For M.Tech admissions, candidates performance in either of the following will be considered:
Admission to BBA program is based on candidate’s performance in 12th standard examination.
Admission to MBA programs at SRM Institute is based on candidate’s performance in either of the following examinations:
- SRMJEEE (PG)
- Common Admission Test (CAT).
- Management Aptitude Test (MAT).
- Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT).
Admission to Medicine and Health Sciences
M.B.B.S & B.D.S
Admission to M.B.B.S & B.D.S program at SRM campuses is based on performance in NEET (UG).
M.D, M.S, M.Ch & M.D.S
Admission to PG medical programs and super Specialty courses is based on performance in NEET PG only.
For other Programs
For all the remaining programs in health Sciences, SRM University selects candidates based on performance in SRMJEEH (UG) and SRMJEEH (PG) for UG and PG programs respectively.
Diploma & Certificate Courses
Admission to Diploma & Certificate courses in Health Sciences at SRM College is based on marks in qualifying examination.
For further details on health science admissions, visit http://www.srmuniv.ac.in/admission-india/medical-health-sciences/admission-procedure-admission-criteria.
Humanities & Sciences Admissions
All UG, PG & Doctoral admissions in humanities are based on candidate’s performance in 12th standard examination.
SRM University Fee Structure (2018-19)
Fee Structure for all the courses at SRM University Kattankulathur campus i.e. the main campus has been tabulated below. For fee structure at other campuses, click on the links provided at respective programs below.
₹2,50,000 per annum
|Nanotechnology and Aerospace Engineering|
₹3,75,000 per annum
|For Fee Structures at Other SRM Campuses||http://www.srmuniv.ac.in/admission-india/engineering/fees/tuition-fee|
- Registration Fee = ₹10,000. (Non-refundable).
- Tuition Fee = ₹2,75,000 per annum.
- Tuition Fee = ₹1,50,000 per annum.
SRM M.Tech Fee structure
- Tuition fee (for all programs at Kattankulathur campus i.e. Main Campus) = ₹1,60,000 per annum.
- Tuition fee (Automotive Hybrid Systems Engineering) = ₹60,000 per annum.
For M.Tech fee Structure at other SRM campuses, visit http://www.srmuniv.ac.in/admission-india/engineering/fees/tuition-fee.
- Tuition Fee = ₹1,00,000.
- 3-seater AC room with Washroom = ₹2,10,000.
- 3-seater AC room without Washroom = ₹1,80,000.
- 3-seater without AC room without Washroom = ₹99,500.
- Mess Charges = ₹55,000.
- 3-seater AC room with Washroom = ₹2,10,000.
- 2-seater AC room without Washroom = ₹2,90,000.
- 3-seater without AC room without Washroom = ₹1,11,500.
- Mess Charges = ₹55,000.
Transport Charges = ₹50,000
- Tuition Fee = ₹85,000 per annum.
- Tuition Fee = ₹3,00,000 per annum.
- Tuition Fee = ₹3,38,250 per annum.
For fee Structure at other SRM campuses, visit http://www.srmuniv.ac.in/admission-india/management/fees/tuition-fee.
Hostel & Mess Charges
Same as Engineering & Technology Program above.
SRM University Campus
SRM University, Kattankulathur campus is the parent campus of this glorified university or the main campus from where the university started. The Kattankulathur campus is a 250 – acre lush green, fully residential campus, located 35 Km away from the city of
Chennai. The Kattankulathur campus of SRM University is a home to College of Engg. and tech. , College of Health & Sciences, School of Mgmt, and College of Science and Humanities. The campus facilities include:
- Sports clubs.
- 3 – star SRM Hotel.
- Central Library.
- Auditorium with 4,000 capacity.
- Language Lab.
- 15 Canteens.
- Stores – Book store, Clothing store etc.
- Banks & ATMs.
- High-Speed Internet.
- Language Labs.
SRM University main campus boasts of a 1200 – bed hospital, managed by the University’s medical college wing. The SRM hospital is open 24 – hours and is well equipped to take on any emergency at any moment in the day.
A great stage is a key to a great performance. Keeping up with the thought, SRM University, has built one of the best college auditoria with a seating capacity of 4,000. All stage work is executed in this great auditorium.
SRM University is well connected to a high-speed internet. The university website claims the speed to be 32mbps.
A unique feature in its quiver, through the language lab a student can master 5 most used foreign languages. These languages are – German, Chinese, English, French and Japanese.
SRM University Placements
According to University website, placements in the year 2016-17 at SRM University saw a staggering 469 companies with 5,684 jobs being offered my them.
No information regarding the placement data such as average, lowest or highest is given.
However, for the benefit of students, we have listed some of the Quora threads discussing the theme of placements at SRM University, Chennai. We highly recommend each student to visit the links below.