Learn in detail about JEE Main 2018.
Update: Result of JEE Mains 2017 has been published. Candidates can check it on http://cbseresults.nic.in/.
Update: Application portal for JEE Mains 2017 is closed now
Update: The last date of applying for JEE Mains 2017 has been extended till 16th Jan 2017 (11:59 PM IST). Whereas the last date for paying application fee has been extended till 17th Jan 2017.
What is JEE Mains?
JEE Main is the 1st stage of the 2-tier engineering entrance process in India. The exam is conducted every year by CBSE, New Delhi under the aegis of the HRD Ministry. JEE Main score is used as a criterion by centrally funded institutes like NITs, IIITs & other centrally funded colleges for admission to B.Tech programs. The JEE system began in 2013 replacing IIT-JEE & AIEEE exams and amalgamating them into one single process. In 2016, a whopping 1.2 million students applied for JEE Main, making it one of the biggest entrance exams on the planet. Also, from 2017 onwards, use of 12th std. marks for calculating JEE Main AIR has been shelved.
Suggested: Discover in detail about JEE Advanced 2018.
Table of Contents
- Medium of Examination.
- Date of Examination.
- Syllabus for JEE Mains 2017.
- Calculating the AIR.
- Applying for JEE Mains 2017.
- Exam Pattern.
- Admit Card.
- Information Brochure.
The medium of examination for JEE Mains 2017 is ENGLISH or HINDI as chosen by the candidate. For students who have chosen Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Gujarat or Daman & Diu as their test center, GUJARATI is also available along with HINDI and ENGLISH as a medium.
For the Offline exam, the date of examination is 2nd April 2017. Whereas in the case of the Online exam, the dates are 8th & 9th April 2017.
Suggested Article: Discover the inspiring life-journey of America’s 16th President Abraham Lincoln.
Syllabus for JEE Mains 2017 is available in information brochure of the same.
The eligibility criteria for JEE Mains 2017 are as follows:
- Date of Birth: A general category applicant must have been born on or after 1st 1992 whereas SC/ST/Pwd candidates must have been born on or after 1st Oct. 1987.
- Qualifying Examination: Applicants who have passed 12th or qualifying exam in 2015 or 2016 and the ones appearing in 2017, are only eligible for JEE Mains 2017. A minimum aggregate of 75% or top 20 percentile shall be considered as eligibility criterion from 2017 onwards.
- Attempts: The total number of attempts, for applicants of all categories, shall be limited to 03.
As many of our readers might know, from 2017 onwards, the 40% weight age given to 12th std. or qualifying exam score has been omitted. From 2017 onwards, All India Ranks will be purely based on candidate’s performance in JEE Mains 2017 Paper 1. No consideration, at all, will be given to qualifying exam performance, as used to be in the past. For the detailed description read our article “No weight age to 12th std. from 2017”.
However, qualifying exam marks would now serve as an eligibility criterion for the candidates. For the detailed description, scroll down to read the eligibility criteria for JEE Mains 2017.
In order to apply for JEE Main 2017, candidates must keep the following things ready.
- Scanned Photograph.
- Scanned Signature.
- Aadhar Card.
- Scanned left thumb impression.
CBSE has mandated the possession of Aadhar Card for Indian students (issued by UIDAI) in order to apply for JEE Main 2017. This requirement has been made to verify the identity of all the candidates. Those who already possess Aadhar Card must enter the 12 – digit Aadhar number in their application forms.
However, those candidates who don’t have Aadhar cards must enroll themselves for the same. For the detailed description, read http://jeemain.nic.in/WebInfo/Handler/FileHandler.ashx?i=File&ii=56&iii=Y.
- The photograph must either be colored or black-and-white.
- Candidate’s name and date of taking the photograph must be printed below the photo respectively.
|Mode of Examination||Offline||Online|
|JEE (Mains)- B.Tech Only||1000(Boys)|
|JEE(Mains)- B.Tech & B.Arch||1800(Boys)|
Also Read: Details regarding JEE Advanced 2017.
Applying for JEE Mains 2017
JEE Mains 2017 application process was a complete ONLINE process. NO OFFLINE FORMS were AVAILABLE.
The application portal for JEE Mains 2017 is closed now.
- Scanned Passport size Photograph.
- Scanned Signature.
- Scanned left-hand thumb impression.
How to Pay
- Credit Card/Debit Card.
e-challan can be paid only in Syndicate/Canara/ICICI/HDFC Bank in cash. Fee submitted through Demand drafts will be rejected.
Upon successful payment of application fee through either of the mentioned ways, an acknowledgment page will be generated. Please, take a print out of the acknowledgment page and keep it safe for future reference.
Candidates must not send the printed acknowledgment page to CBSE as it used to be in the past.
The application form for JEE Mains 2017 is available on the link http://jeemain.nic.in/jeemainapp/root/loginpage.aspx.
The complete application process is divided into three parts:
- Application Form: At this stage, the candidate has to enter all his/her personal details, as asked. At this juncture, the candidates would be asked details such as Name, Father’s Name, DOB etc. Upon successful submission, an Application number would be generated. This number and chosen password will be used for all future logins.
- Uploading Documents: As the name suggests, at this stage the candidate has to upload his/her signature, photo and thumb impression.
- Payment: This is the final stage of application for JEE mains 2017. Here the candidate has to choose the method for paying the application fee for JEE Mains 2017.After completing these three steps, candidates can print the acknowledgment page from JEE Mains website. If the application fee is paid via challan, then it would take some time before acknowledgment page can be downloaded.
JEE Mains 2017 was a 3 – hour long examination. The question paper comprises of 3 sections of equal weight age:
- Physics (30 questions).
- Chemistry (30 questions).
- Mathematics (30 questions).
All the questions are of same weight age. For every correct answer, a candidate will gain 4 marks. Whereas for every wrong answer, 1 mark shall be deducted. However, there is no marking for unattempted questions.
This pattern was same for both ONLINE and Pen/Paper Based Exam.
|Availability of Forms||1st December 2016 – 16th January 2017 (extended)|
|Date of Examination (Offline)|
Paper-1 (For B.E/B.Tech)
|2nd April 2017 (09:30 – 12:30)|
|Date of Examination (Online)||8th & 9th April 2017.|
|Declaration of JEE Mains 2017 score||27th April 2017|
JEE Mains 2017 admit cards will be available for downloaded in the 2nd week of March 2017. Before downloading the cards, candidates had to submit their Qualifying exam (12th std.) roll no. and board details to CBSE.
JEE Mains 2017 scores were declared on 27th April 2017. As mentioned before, from 2017 onwards, all India ranks calculated, will not constitute 12th std. marks in them.
Candidates can check their result on http://cbseresults.nic.in/.
As of now, all 32 NITs, 18 IIITs, and other state govt. institutes will consider JEE Mains 2017 Paper 1 ranks as an eligibility criterion for admission to B.Tech Programs. JEE Mains 2017 score would also serve as an eligibility criterion for JEE Advanced 2017.
Related Post: Read our list of top 50 engineering colleges of 2016.
Previous Year’s Cut-Off
Candidates can download the official brochure for JEE Mains 2017 from http://jeemain.nic.in/WebInfo/Handler/FileHandler.ashx?i=File&ii=59&iii=Y.
Please share, like and follow us on facebook for more updates. Also, let us know your queries and suggestions about this post by commenting below.